piece of cake
The math test was a piece of cake.
to go bananas
He went bananas.
bring home the bacon
My husband brings home the bacon.
have bigger fish to fry
I couldn't attend the meeting, I had bigger fish to fry.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.
like two peas in a pod
They are like two peas in a pod.
as red as a cherry
Her cheeks were as red as cherry.
eat like a horse
My husband eats like a horse.
walk on eggshells
I've been walking on eggshells around my boyfriend.
hard nut to crack
He is a hard nut to crack.
cut from the same cloth
My son and I are cut from the same cloth.
with a fine-toothed comb
we went over the flat with a fine-toothed comb.
fit like a glove
That dress fits you like a glove.
to lose one's shirt
I lost my shirt in a poker game.
roll up one's sleeves
It's time to roll up your sleeves and get to work.
have an ace up one's sleeve
That girl aways has an ace up her sleeve.
1. A bad beginning makes a bad ending. 开头不好，结尾必糟。
2. A bad custom is like a good cake, better broken than kept. 蛋糕莫保留，坏习气要除掉。
3. A bad workman always blames his tools. 劣工咎器。
4. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 两鸟在林，不如一鸟在手。
5. A body without knowledge is like a house without a foundation. 人无知犹如房屋无基。
6. A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. 书是随时携带的花园。
7. A candle lights others and consumes itself. 蜡烛照亮了别人，燃尽了自己。
8. A door must be either shut or open. 门不关就得开，二者必居其一。 / 非此即彼。
9. A friend is a second self. 朋友是第二个自我。
10. A good beginning makes a good ending. 欲善其终 , 必先善其始。
11. A good medicine tastes bitter. 良药苦口利于病，忠言逆耳利于行。
12. A lazy youth, a lousy age. 少年懒惰，老来贫苦。
13. A life without a friend is a life without a sun. 人生没有朋友，犹如生活没有阳光。
14. A little help is worth a deal of pity. 一次行动胜过一筐空话。
15. A little is better than none. 有一点总比没有好。
16. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 一知半解，害已误人。
17. A little labour, much health. 常常走动，无病无痛。
18. A little learning is a dangerous thing. 浅学寡识是件危险的事。
19. A little of everything, and nothing at all. 样样皆通，样样稀松。
20. A man is never too old to learn. 活到老，学到老。
21. A merry heart goes all the way. 心情愉快，办事痛快。
22. A picture is a poem without words. 画为无言诗。
23. A snow year, a good year. 瑞雪兆丰年。
24. A thing of beauty is a joy for ever. 美好的事物永远是一种快乐。
25. A thousand mile trip begins with one step. 千里之行，始于足下。
26. A tree is known by its fruit. 观其行而知其人。
27. A word spoken cannot be recalled. 一言说出，难以收回。
28. A word to the wise is enough. 聪明人不用细说。
29. A work ill done must be twice done. 工作未干好，只得重返工。
30. Act fairly by all men. 一视同仁。
31. Actions speak louder than words. 事实胜于雄辩。
32. Adversity makes a man wise, not rich. 困难和不幸不能使人富有，却能使人聪明。
33. After rain comes fair weather. 否极泰来。
34. After supper walk a mile. 饭后百步走，活到九十九。
35. All are not friends that speak us fair. 说好话的不一定都是朋友。
36. All beginnings are hard. 万事开头难。
37. All men can't be first. 并非所有的都能获第一。
38. All roads lead to Rome. 处处有路通长安。
39. All things are difficult before they are easy. 万事开头难。
40. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. 只工作而无娱乐会使人愚钝。
41. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. 一天一个苹果，医生不来找我。
42. An empty bag cannot stand upright. 空袋子放不真。
43. An evil lesson is soon learned. 学坏容易。
44. An honest man's word is as good as his bond. 君子一言，驷马难追。
45. An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening. 一日之计在于晨。
46. An idle youth, a needy age. 少壮不努力，老大徒伤悲。
47. An ill workman quarrels with his tools. 不会撑船怪河弯。
48. Art is long, life is short. 生有涯而知无涯。
49. As a man sows, so shall he reap. 种瓜得瓜，种豆得豆。
50. As one door closes, another door opens. 天无绝人之路